Plantar Fasciitis | Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
One of the worst places to experience pain is in your feet. They support your body weight, and it is difficult to avoid standing and walking. At Sole Aesthetic in Bellaire, TX, we want you to live the best life possible. Today we will discuss the causes, symptoms, and treatments of plantar fasciitis, so you can learn how to mitigate your risk of getting this condition and what you can do to make yourself feel better.
What Is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is a condition of tight bands between your heal and toes. Pain usually begins within your first few steps of the day but can also occur after prolonged periods of sitting. Read on to learn more about causes, symptoms and what you can do to resolve the problem.
Unfortunately, there are several causes of plantar fasciitis. This condition often affects women and older adults. Here are some risk factors of plantar fasciitis you can mitigate:
- Being overweight
- Wearing worn-out shoes with thin soles
- Having an unusual foot-striking position when you walk
- Wearing high heels regularly
- Having tight Achilles tendons (also known as heel cords)
- Having a flat foot or high arch – this can be mitigated by wearing specially designed shoes or insoles to improve your foot strike when you walk
- Working retail or other jobs where you spend long periods on your feet – if you cannot change jobs or get a chair for your work, our team can help provide you with options for a more comfortable step
Plantar fasciitis can be diagnosed by a sharp, stabbing pain on the bottom of your heel, typically as soon as you wake up. This can occur at either the front or center of the heel bone.
Plantar fasciitis will usually heal itself naturally after only a few months. However, the pain in the meantime is debilitating and can get in the way of your lifestyle. While standard over-the-counter painkillers can be helpful, they are not a good long-term solution. Some of our treatments for plantar fasciitis include:
- Biologic therapy
- EPAT treatment
- Polylactic Acid injections
Plantar fasciitis is a drag. If you do not have time to slow down in life to live with severe pain for months at a time, schedule yourself a consultation with the experts at Sole Aesthetic in Bellaire, TX today. We are delighted to help you manage your pain so you can live a happy, fulfilling life.